Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Model 15 questions

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, the round thing is a port.

    There were a couple of versions of the 15. The first series and the series II (2).

    The 12" woofer is a foam surround and is reconeable by GPA in OKC. It is the same woofer as was used in teh Model 9. It is not the same as the woofer used in the Model 14. However, it is physically the same size and looks almost identical.

    The horn is a curved throat with a 802-8G driver. It is not a constant directivity horn like the Model 14 that replaced the 15. However, I do like the Model 15 horn.

    The Model 15 is a decent speaker. I had a pair in the early 80's and really liked them. I regretted trading them soon after I made the deal.

    Crossovers are very well made. Very similar to the Model 19. I think that are superior to the Model 14 crossover.

    I am sure I have all of the spec's somewhere. I can dig a bit later if you are interested.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member jack6428's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2004
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello,

    I'm thinking about getting some model 15 speakers to use as home theater rear surrounds and have a couple of questions.

    I have never seen one close up. Is the speaker sealed or is the round "Altec" item on the baffle a port.

    Does anyone know the 12 inch woofer and crossover used?

    Are there other 12 inch choices that could be used?

    Thanks in advance,

    Jack

  3. #3
    Inactive Member jack6428's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2004
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Carl - thanks for the detailed response.

    I have some of the bent horns and like them very much. I am in the midst of piece-mealing a home theater setup in a couple of rooms and am using the bent horns for the high end of the center channel. For quick and dirty the bent horns are temporarily laying very nicely on top of big TVs, that is until the next earthquake hits!

    The new Model 15?s I just got will work great for the rear surrounds since the bent horn keeps their depth to a reasonable amount.

    Thanks for the spec sheet offer. I?d really like to get it since I did close the deal on the Model 15?s today.

    Maybe you know these answers.

    - What is the crossover freq?
    - What is the approx max high for the 802G (I think it has the tangerine phase plug)?
    - Is the woofer alnico or ceramic?

    Getting a littly crazier ? do you think a 15 inch would fit in them? Would I be able to tune it / port the 15 inch in this size cab?

    You mentioned the Model Nines briefly. I just got some of their 3-way crossovers (the Series II) and am not sure what the crossover points are.

    Thanks again,
    Jack

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Woofer is ceramic.

    I can try and find all the answers to the Model 9 and Model 15 specs tonight when I get home.

    I suppose you could get a 15" driver in the box, however, the curved horn may be in the way of the magnet assembly. Probably need someone like GM to provide a better answer.

    If a 15" woofer is the goal, I would simply start from scratch with a new cabinet design.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've had my model-15's for almost 30 years now. Bought them new in 78. When wife re-decorated our living room she told me the speakers had to go. Gave me a budget of $3000 to replace them. I looked and looked and looked....I could NOT find a pair of new speakers for under $5000 that sounded as good as my Model-15's. I ended up rebuilding them....Making them taller and skinnier and matching the design of the Entertainment center. Wife was very pleased. I even custom mixed a stain that matched exactly....The speakers look like they came with the furniture....and they still sound the same...actually better with the horns up at ear level.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The crossover i think is 1200...I'll have to check my spec sheet.

    It does use the 802-8G and it does have the tangerine phase plug.

    Don't know about the woofer.

    I don't think a 15" woofer would fit in that box. Not enough volume.

    These are wonderful speakers....I've truly enjoyed them over the years. Maybe not as good as the 19's but I've loved them and never wanted to upgrade. They play rock, jazz and classical extremely well. And are efficeint enough to drive with tubes if you want.

    When I first bought them I had a Kenwood Integrated amp running them. They sounded great...But I didn't realize how much better they could sound when I bought my Crown Pl-4 amp. It seems the more mellow of an amp the sweeter the sound. The Pl-4 runs as a pure Class-A amp at low power levels (which I rarely ever exceeded).

    When I replaced my amp for Home Theatre I auditioned several amps with these speakers. Settled on a NAD unit. Very mellow sounding amp with only 35 watts (more then enough power for these speakers). I auditioned systems from MacIntosh, Sunfire and a few other high-end ones. The NAD's sounded the best to me. The McIntosh was a very close second.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member jack6428's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2004
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Good for you Mike on the camouflage.

    Hope you found good use for the remaining $$.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.